- Executive Overview: Evolving Products, Shortening Schedules
- The Driver of Change: Verifying System Integration
- Upgrade Opportunity: Electrical-Mechanical Collaboration
- The Established Approach: Manual and Sequential
- The Novel Approach: Automated and Concurrent
- Summary and Recommendations
There is little doubt about it: today’s products are undergoing a dramatic evolution. The combination of the rise of the Internet of Things (IoT) and the demand for more intelligent product features is driving an unprecedented change in the composition of products. They increasingly require sensors, antennas, and embedded systems. Electrical systems connect them all and act as the nervous system of modern products. Despite this ongoing transformation, companies are still under tremendous pressure to launch or deliver products on similar schedules. As a result, engineering leadership is seeking ways to further compress product development, including the electrical systems that are so critical to smart and connected features. The focus of this report is to detail the efforts needed to improve the development of these electrical systems, specifically through earlier and more continuous collaboration between electrical and mechanical engineers.