What are Enterprise Business Platforms, Solutions and Apps?
Enterprise Business Platforms, Solutions and Apps are used to execute cross-functional organizational responsibilities, providing combinations of capabilities that are often delivered by multiple separate enterprise systems. More specifically, the following definitions apply:
- Enterprise Business Platforms refers to a set of integrated software applications and / or systems whose capabilities and shared data can be combined to create Enterprise Business Solutions or Apps.
- Enterprise Business Solutions or Apps, which can come in the form of a software application and (desktop- or mobile-based) or a software system (server- or cloud-based) provide capabilities from multiple integrated software applications and / or systems that operate on data that is shared with other Enterprise Business Solutions or Apps within the Enterprise Business Platform. In the form of an App, this type of solution is often a granular, providing a focused set of capabilities that addresses the needs of a specific role or industry.
Enterprise Business Platforms, Solutions and Apps are used in scenarios where the responsibilities of specific roles span the boundaries of multiple functional organizations or multiple lifecycle stages of a product. This includes Program Managers and Compliance Officers that need visibility into engineering, sourcing, manufacturing and supply chain progress as well as the ability to define and execute corrective and proactive actions during development, launch, service and end of life.
The scope of Enterprise Business Platforms, Solutions and Apps can range widely. The coverage of this solution type on this site is limited to that of product development in discrete manufacturers.
Capabilities Provided and Related Technology Enablers
The capabilities of this type of solution can vary dramatically, but can combine the capabilities of:
- Design, Manufacturing and Simulation software including Mechanical Computer Aided Design (MCAD), Mechanical Computer Aided Manufacturing (MCAM), Mechanical Computer Aided Engineering (MCAE) and Electrical Computer Aided Design (ECAD) and more.
- Execution, Management and Oversight software including Enterprise Resource and Planning, Supply Chain Management, Service Lifecycle Management, Product Lifecycle Management (PLM), Product Data Management (PDM), Simulation Data Management (SDM), Application Lifecycle Management (ALM), Software Configuration Management (SCM), Manufacturing Operations Management (MOM) and more.
Furthermore, an important aspect of Enterprise Business Platforms, Solutions and Apps is the ability to share integrated data within the platform and across solutions and apps.
Providers that offer Enterprise Business Platforms, Solutions and Apps include:
- Dassault Systèmes offers their 3DEXPERIENCE platform
- Oracle offers their Product Value Chain Management solution