The survey was developed between August 5th and September 15th 2013. Responses were collected between September 18th and October 25th 2013. This included respondents from our outreach in addition to those efforts from our partners NAFEMs, ENGINEERING.com and Cadalyst.
The number of respondents to the survey totals 1,005. The findings of this report, however, are based on a subset of these respondents, totaling 826, which directly participate in the product development supply chain. Responses from software providers, service providers and system integrators were excluded.
Respondents to the study’s survey serve a wide variety of industries, including
- 40% Automotive,
- 36% Industrial Equipment or Heavy Machinery,
- 34% Aerospace and Defense,
- 18% Consumer Products and
- 18% Construction.
However, these industries were not served exclusively. Fully 20% of the respondents designated that they serve more than single industry.
Survey responses for this study were gathered from fifty-one different countries. The contribution by geographic area is as follows:
- 41% North America,
- 36% Europe,
- 14% Asia,
- 3% from Australia and New Zealand,
- 3% from South America,
- 2% from Africa and 1% from the Middle East.
Respondents to the survey hold a number of roles, including:
- 59% staff (workers, individual contributors),
- 34% managerial (manager, director) and
- 7% executive (vice president) or leadership (president, CEO, CFO).
These respondents are employed at companies with a wide range of revenues, including:
- 51% from companies with less than $100 million in revenues,
- 19% from companies with revenues between $100 million and $1.25 billion in revenues,
- 31% from companies with revenues more than $1.25 billion.